About Us

Contacts

History

Part I (forthcoming) | Part II (forthcoming) | Part III (1985-1992) | Part IV (1993-2000)



The RALC in Outline - Take Three - 1985 - 1992 - Completing the First Twenty Years

Your self-appointed Historian and Resident Relic, Charter member Dr. John B. Trotti, herewith submits the third phase of our RALC History completing our first twenty years. This is a bare bones recounting of the facts as our minutes reflect them over those years. Later Historians may comment on the weight and substance of what we have done here. Suffice it to say that our libraries are closer, more cooperative, and stronger in this relationship than we were in 1972. Let it also be said that there is much yet to be done to realize our potential.

September 27, 1985: RALC at UTSVA

Trotti reported on the work of the advisory committee on Library Automation and Networking in Virginia. He also circulated "the RALC in Outline -- Take One" (a history up through May 1980. After discussion of wether to continue the RALC, it was agreed to do so with two meetings per year (Sept/Oct and April) and to propose a topic for discussion at each meeting. It was reaffirmed that this was a Directors Group with some others participating, but not to be expanded to full staff meetings. Winant reported from the RAFil/Video Co-Op.

April 19, 1986: RALC at RMC

Trotti circulated "The RALC in Outline -- Take Two" (1980 - 1985). Committee on Statistics reported and most members circulated ILL stats for the year. Report of the RAF/VC was discussed. Topic: "Use of our libraries by outside groups" led to recommendation to Public Services Committee to discuss the issue and draft an RALC letter to go to schools Discussion of State networking.

October 3, 1986: RALC at VCU

Presentation of VCU's ALIS acquisition system. Lengthy discussion of Public Services Committee and issue of high school students. Action: (1) a letter was proposed to go to all principals and librarians in the area and (2) further steps were referred to the committee. Winant reported for FAFVC and Trotti for State Networking. In lieu of an RALC newsletter, it was requested that staff newsletters be sent to all RALC institutions.

April 17, 1987: RALC at VSU

ILL agreement extended one year. ILL statistics circulated. Committee reports: Statistics asking who uses them and asks for them to be on July 1 to June 30 cycle. Brief reports on Technical Services, Collection Development and Public Services. Agreed that Subcommittees must meet far enough in advance of the Directors Meeting to get minutes out. Public Services charged once more with issue of high school student use/abuse. Discussion of needs for Professional Development programs of RAC. Agreed that host institution is responsible for the minutes of RALC. Judd of VCU elected Convener for two years. Report on Networking.

August 20, 1987: Special RALC at UTSVA

Discussion of high school student use and various proposals made - finally to gather more data and discuss in October. Standardized ILL pass form presented. Discussion of Professional Development in RALC. Issue of including community colleges in RALC set for October discussion.

October 16, 1987: RALC at Virginia Union University

Discussion of the role, charge, relevance of a Collection Development Committee. Agreement that a Staff Development Committee was not needed. Report of Public Services Committee and rejection of idea of RALC borrowing card. Stats sheets circulated.

April 29, 1988: Public Services Committee at RMC

ILL agreement reaffirmed. Tour of new facility.

May 6, 1988: RALC at University of Richmond

Public Services discussion of high school student issues plus revisions of interloan policy. Hirsshorn proposal about dial-up access to VCU's catalog. Collection Development committee charged to gather collection development policies.

November 4, 1988: RALC at Hewlett Packard District Office

Welcome to three new members: J. Sargeant Reynolds (both campuses), John Tyler Community College, and Richard Bland College. Committee reports plus RAFVC report. Charge to have each committee given more direction by RALC. Plans for proposal to Title III for U list of Serials -- to meet November 27 and take action.

December 8, 1988: RALC at RMC

Reaffirmed that host library should do the minutes. Hirsshorn to revise statistical form. New title and some revisions to ILL agreement. Agreed to apply for a title III LSCA Grant for Union List of Serials Report on stuatus and use of FAX machines in the area.

June 1, 1989: RALC at VCU

ILL agreement ratified. Statistics circulated. Serial Union List Project discussed. Requests to expand RALC membership list. Schools added: John Tyler Community College, J. Sargeant Reynolds (all campuses), Richard Bland Community College, and Southside Virginia Community College.

November 27, 1989: RALC at VCU

Technical Services committee report on U List proposal and budget. Discussion of delivery system and finances of the vans. Discussion of local networking and its place in state network.

February 23, 1990: RALC at UTSVA

Report on Title III proposal. Report of RAFVC asking its status in RALC. Report of ILL Delivery Task Force -- recommends RALC share in cost of the system. Dues set at $650 per year plus $1500 total dues.

June 12, 1990: RALC at Virginia State Library & Archives

Committee reports, including RAFVC. Discussion of RAFVC finances led to a committee to study financial matters and structure of RALC Membership of Richmond Memorial Hospital library was denied and basic group of academic libraries reaffirmed. Moved balance in RAFVC for repairs/replacement into line for production of 1989 catalog plus one camera-ready copy of the catalog to go to each school. Title III proposal report. RALC to meet bi-monthly. Major discussion of Union List proposal and work.

August 13, 1990: RALC at U of R

Discussion of library relations with the media. Committee reports -- RAFV CoOp now a committee. Formation of a Management Structure Committee. Update on Union Lists of Serials Project -- libraries becoming official participants. Set schedule of bi-monthly meetings.

January 18, 1991: RALC at UTSVA

Film Co-Op Committee, Committee on Cataloging Films, Union List Committee, RALC Management Committee all reported. Peggy Reitz of the Union List project reported. Revised By-Laws.

March 22, 1991: RALC at RMC

Reports from RAFVC, Film Cataloging Committee, Union List, and By-Law Revisions. Call for committee budget proposals by next meeting.

May 21, 1991: RALC at U of R

Discussion of By-Laws. Committee reports.

July 12, 1991: RALC at RMC

Committees: RAFVC Public Services, and Technical Services. Mission Statement adopted. RALC now is Richmond Academic Library Consortium. Union List project report.

October 11, 1991: RALC met at (anyone have minutes?)

October 18, 1991: Technical Services Committee at UTSVA

January 10, 1992: RALC at VUU

Committee reports; reports on Union List Project. Policies and budget for Film Co-Op.

April 17, 1992: RALC at J. Sargeant Reynolds, Downtown

Committee reports, Union List Report, election of officers.

May 29, 1992. Technical Services & Co-Op Collection Development met at VSL&A

June 19, 1992: RALC at T.C. Williams

Update of membership roster, committee reports, tour of new library facility.

October 9, 1992: RALC at Tompkins-McCaw (VCU)

Treasurer's report, budget, negative report on funding for Online Medial Catalog Project (Members would have to share resources beyond the bounds of RALC), report on Commonwealth College and rejection of its application for RALC membership, reports on VLA plans and on IFLA, and a variety of announcements. RALC voted not to collect materials to send to Miami libraries, but encouraged individual libraries to respond as they are able.

November 9, 1992: RALC Film/Video Co-op met a Virginia Union University

1991/92 statistics presented, thanks expressed to persons responsible for publishing the AV Catalog, plans laid for continuing work on the grant proposal to automate.

This brief sketch rounds off our first twenty years of the RALC. Over that time significant steps have been taken in interlibrary cooperation, in establishing the shuttle in the publications of the RALF/V group, in funding for and completion of a project to work on union serials list. Both public services and technical services groups have met hard and carried forward the work of the RALC. With a mission statement, constitution and by-laws in place, RALC is poised to move forward in the next twenty years.

Respectfully submitted,
John B. Trotti, self-appointed archivist
August 9, 1993


Take Four: A History in Outline - 1993 – 2000

Submitted by Paul Porterfield
Head, Media Resource Center
Boatwright Memorial Library
University of Richmond
January 18, 2001

This is a brief recounting of the minutes from RALC meetings. According to RALC by-laws, there are four scheduled meetings in each calendar year. The meetings for which there were no available minutes are noted accordingly.

January 8, 1993; RALC at UTS

Bill Chamberlain (VCU) expressed a desire to move ahead with cooperative collection development. VSLA and VCU have very detailed materials selection policy. Dan Bedsole (RMC) inquired about the possible adoption by other libraries and asked about the possibility of VSLA taking leadership in this project. A committee was formed to look at the topic. RALC members were requested to look at the revisions to the bylaws and give its comments to Barbara Ford by early March. The reasons for the denial of the US Department of Education grant were outlined; the Richmond Area Film/Video Co-op does not circulate outside of its membership; not a new service; greater staff or funding contribution needed; and not sufficient indication of the project. It was decided not to resubmit the proposal. There was a report from the Richmond Area Film/Video Co-op (Co-op). The Media Minder system will be moved to RMC. Media Minder was purchased by Brodart. An upgrade to the system with additional hardware would cost approximately $8,500. Bill Chamberlain moved that RALC look at alternative to the Media Minder system. A committee was formed to consider the costs, advantages, and disadvantages to securing another media cataloging system.

April 9, 1993; RALC at VSLA

The minutes of the January 8, 1993 meeting were clarified to show that RALC will purchase a new computer and an upgrade for the Media Minder system. The RALC treasurer presented the budget for the next fiscal year, reported that all annual dues had been collected, and stated that there was a budget balance of $7,055. It was decided that the revised RALC by-laws would be reviewed again and a vote taken to approve taken at the next meeting. The Collection Management Committee reported that they had met and discussed the possibilities of putting collection development policies on the VLIN database. They also asked RALC to provided a written charge for the committee. The Public Services Committee reported that it had met to discuss the problem of collecting overdues and fines from each other’s library in a timely manner. It was recommended that fees owed prior to 1992 be eliminated. Dan Bedsold (RMC) suggested that notification be give each semester, but clearance be done at the end of each academic year. The committee will develop a standard form and notification procedure. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that the new computer was installed at the end of January and the Media Minder upgrade received earlier in the week. Alternatives to Media Minder will continue to be explored. UTS expressed interest in purchasing the old Film/Video Co-op computer.

May 27, 1993; RALC at JTCC

The minutes of April 9, 1993, should indicate that Dan Bedsole (RMC) recommended that in RALC’s interlibrary loan guidelines an institution must be notified in a timely manner of any overdues or lost materials in order for the borrowing institution to reimburse the lending institution and that Mary Ann Bailey will bring recommendations to RALC. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that Media Minder was updated in April, 1993, and a training session is scheduled for June. Members should review the revised version of the bylaws and be ready to discuss and vote at the fall meeting. Dan Bedsole (RMC) distributed a draft of the charge for RALC’s Collection Development Committee. Discussion followed on whether or not to include libraries that are not part of RALC. It was felt that at first cooperative collection development activities should be limited to RALC members. Criteria to be considered in determining membership in RALC were given as size of collection, budget, quality of collection, location of main campus, and geographic relationship to Richmond. Eike Heuter (RBC) moved to approve the charge. It was approved unanimously.

October 1, 1993; RALC at VSU

The treasurer reported that RALC is now earning interest on its Money Market savings account. He also informed the membership that committee budgets did not carry over from one fiscal year to the next. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that there had been technical difficulty with Media Minder. The annual Film/Video collection requirements were discussed. It was decided that the minimum media collection budget for member schools should be the number of titles borrowed times $15. The Technical Services Committee will report on Media Minder at the January RALC meeting. The Public Services Committee reported that it met to discuss the RALC pass and overdue lists. A uniform RALC pass is being developed by the committee for implementation in January 1994. It was moved and approved that Public Services develop and produce a uniform RALC pass with a January implementation date. The committee recommended that an overdue list be generated by April 15 and November 15 in order to provide each institution with enough time to clear book debts. A needs and interest survey is being developed for the staff exchange program. Vote on the revisions to the bylaws was delayed until January.

October 9, 1993; RALC at MCV/VCU

It was reported again that RALC was not awarded a Department of Education grant for the online media catalog project. RALC did not feel that it was able to share it resources beyond its members and for that reason outside funding will be difficult to obtain. The RALC directors acknowledged the excellent work done by Kathy Fladland, Catalog Librarian at VCU, who was responsible for preparing the proposal. Barbara Ford and Paul Porterfield visited the Richmond campus library of Commonwealth College. There are libraries on five separate campuses. SACS is considering accreditation for the college. Barbara Ford raised the issue of membership criteria and the implications of distance education in the Richmond area. After learning about Commonwealth College and its libraries, it was the sense of the RALC directors that membership would not be appropriate. Vonita Dandridge (VUU) will review the bylaws with particular attention to the membership criteria and submit a proposed revision for the next meeting. Judith Hunt (UR) requested the members consider a donation to the libraries in the Miami area that had been damaged by Hurricane Andrew. It was recommended that each individual and/or each library donate as they wish.

April 8, 1994; RALC at RMC

The treasurer reported that RALC’s budget balance is $6,405.93. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that a lack of consistent technologies at member libraries is perceived as a difficulty in implementing anything other than print versions of the film/video catalog. John Duke (VCU) suggested the Z39 link software that enables you to search another catalog and provides displays in format of searcher’s software. OCLC was also seen as a possibility, however, libraries would have to conduct searches. After much discussion the committee agreed to use the existing Media Minder system for next year and study what format is best for distribution of the catalog to all members.

June 2, 1994; RALC at RBC

The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported and distributed the results of a survey conducted to identify technology available in the Co-op. This preliminary information was needed to determine the format of future film/video catalogs. An ad-hoc committee of media and technical services members will conduct a major assessment of the Co-op to review its mission, structure, and goals. This mini self study will answer such questions as: (1) Are current objectives being addressed and (2) How will we continue to implement and enhance resource sharing.

October 2, 1994; RALC at SVCC

The RALC treasurer reported that the RALC budget balance is over $8,000, including the UR account and the RALC money market savings account. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that borrowing among member schools has shown a significant increase over the past several years. Paul Porterfield (UR) raised several questions: (1) Whether or not the Co-op can continue as an entity with such heavy demand increasing the workload at member schools? (2) Should schools own their own much-used videos considering that video costs had gone down? (3) Is the cost of running the shuttle effective with maintenance and staffing problems? Problems related to the film catalog were also discussed. Chuck Ormsbee (RMC) reported that the printed catalog may not be produced because of time and staffing constraints. It was decided by the RALC directors to hire a part-time cataloger to catalog the past year’s media purchases. The final draft of the bylaws was passed out for consideration. A change was made in the section related to criteria for accepting new RALC members. The acceptance of a new member of RALC must receive two thirds of the member institutions. The bylaws will be voted on at the next meeting. Those present then watched a video and slide presentation by Judith Hunt (UR) of her trip to IFLA in Havanna.

January 13, 1995 (Incomplete minutes available)

The revised bylaws were approved by the members present.

May 10, 1995; RALC at RMC

The RALC treasurer presented the budget for fiscal year 1995/96 and stated that the major change was an increase in charges for the shuttle service provided by the University of Richmond, VCU, and Virginia State University. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that the new film/video catalog was being distributed and that the fate of the Media Minder system used to prepare the catalog was uncertain at this time. Ann Knox (UTS) circulated a summary document of the results of the Cooperative Committee’s survey of the membership. She also reported on the recommendations of the ad hoc Committee on the future of the Film/Video Co-op. Problems with staff workloads, shuttle van staffing, and the deteriorating physical condition of the UR shuttle van were principal concerns in the document. A recommendation that RALC consider hiring a part-time person who would be responsible for bookings, database maintenance, and driving the shuttle van was presented as a possibility to consider. A special RALC committee was appointed to review the recommendations of the Ad-Hoc Committee and report back to the RALC directors by fall, 1995. Sara Watstein (VCU) reported that the Public Services Committee has assumed the responsibilities of the defunct Cooperative Collection Development Committee.

Summer, 1995; (No minutes available)

Fall, 1995; (No minutes available)

January, 23, 1995 (Incomplete minutes available)

A discussion was held of possible changes in the Film/Video Co-op shuttle service (i.e.; use of U.S. Mail, use of UPS, etc.). Suggestions were discussed for using RALC monies for technology purchases.

April 19, 1996; RALC at UR

Elsie Stephens Weatherington (VSU) reported that Gay Neale had resigned the membership of Southside Community College due to other obligations. The RALC treasurer gave the annual budget report and it was approved along with dues for next year. The Technical Services Committee reported on the upcoming SOLINET workshop. Additional funds were approved by RALC to send members to the workshop. The Public Services Committee reported on the successful copyright workshop that was held at UR earlier in the month. The possibility of creating a homepage for RALC was discussed by the RALC directors. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that the new formula for determining library media budgets was to be the number of items borrowed from the Co-op X $20.00. Paul Porterfield (UR) reported on his negotiations as RALC treasurer with Professional Freight to provide courier service for media and other ILL materials for RALC. This service will replace the old shuttle service provided by UR, VCU, and VSU. The courier service will be used for one year and evaluated. The RALC directors unanimously approved the contract with Professional Freight be signed for the coming fiscal year.

October 25, 1996; RALC at VSU

The Public Services Committee recommended that they work with the Film/Video Co-op Committee to formulate guidelines for loans. Some institutions loan media and some do not. It was suggested to include media with interlibrary loan policies. The Film/Video Co-op Committee recommended that Public Services and the Film/Video Co-op prepare a survey to address the way lending is structured at each institution and look at what materials are borrowed. It was reported that there have been minimal problems with the courier services instituted in July. Gary Graham (JTCC) addressed the future of the Film/Video Co-op. The discussion elicited the following observation: borrowing has decreased by 20% partly due to the lack of a current printed catalog of resources and partly due to some institutions being less dependent upon the Film/Video Co-op. Discussion was directed to creating a homepage for RALC and possibly linking films titles to the homepage.

January 17, 1997; RALC at RBC

The Public Services Committee reported that Dan Ream (VCU) did a presentation at VCU on teaching the Internet. A subcommittee was appointed to work with Nell Chenault (VCU), chair of the Film/Video Co-op Committee, to survey libraries and their lending policies. Nell reported that the cost of the courier service was very economical in comparison with other means of ILL delivery. John Duke (VCU) offered to explore a way to search everyone’s listing of audio-visual materials since the printed catalog is no longer available.

April 25, 1997; RALC at VUU

The RALC treasurer presented the budget for the 1997/98 fiscal year which was approved by the members. It was reported that more monies were being made available for staff development programs and workshops. Committees must submit a proposed budget for any staff development they wish to present. The treasurer, in consultation with the RALC chair, will approve theses budgets requests. The Technical Services Committee reported on the upcoming workshop "The Management of Electronic Serials." The Public Services Committee reported on a program presented at UTS by Dr. Gary Lamburth, Human Resources Director at RMC, on motivation and doing more with less. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that a change in the courier delivery service would allow for a second stop at VCU each delivery day. Nell Chenault (VCU) distributed handouts on the VLA/RALC program scheduled for May 30 at UR entitled "To Lend or Not to Lend Nonprint Media".

July 18, 1997; RALC at UTS

The Technical Services Committee reported on the workshop held at UVA on cataloging electronic resources. RALC sponsored 10 of its members to attend this very useful workshop. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that the ILL courier service would now make one stop at the Library of Virginia and two stops at VCU. The program "To Lend or Not to Lend Non-Print Materials/Current Practices & Pending Copyright Changes" was held at UR with 15 media staff and 30 VLA attendees present. Paul Porterfield (UR) and Nell Chenaulty (VCU) will develop new forms for requesting monies for workshops and evaluating the program. Gary Graham (JTCC) discussed the funds balance and the activity generated by the courier service. In the absence of a printed catalog, we need to address how we can determine the media holdings of each library. Also, the libraries need to work on entering all of their media holdings in their individual online catalogs. Barbara Ford (VCU) reminded the members that this has been an ongoing project and that action needs to be taken to solve the problem of accessing each library’s media holdings. A committee was formed to make recommendations to RALC on how to provide an online catalog of media materials. Discussion was directed again to considering the development of a website for RALC. VSU and Reynolds both offered to work on this project. Kip Campbell (Library of VA) asked about the possibility of a statewide meeting of library consortia.

October 17, 1997; RALC at JTCC

The purpose of the RALC homepage was discussed. The primary purposes are marketing, public relations, keeping up-to-date, and serving as an archival resource. Virginia Cherry discussed sending RALC minutes via e-mail for approval and then forwarding them to Hong Wu (Reynolds) to be placed on the homepage. However, it was decided by the members to continue sending printed minutes by courier for approval. A discussion of the Statewide meeting of all consortia in the Commonwealth by Kip Campbell (Library of VA) will be presented at the January meeting of RALC. The members then moved to the John Tyler Collaborative Learning Center for a demonstration of the Z39.50 software by Mike Burgmeier (VCU) and a presentation of the homepage by Hong Wu (Reynolds).

January 23, 1998; RALC at UR

The Public Services Committee held their last meeting at Virginia Union where they were toured around the new library. Mike Burgmeier distributed a brief outline on the Z39.50 software options for an online media catalog. DRA Web appears to be the ideal product for the Film/Video Co-op’s needs. The cost is $5,000 per user. It was decided to have the DRA sales representative meet with the Film/Video Co-op Committee and make a demonstration of the product. Hong Wu (Reynolds) handed out copies of the new RALC homepage and explained each link. The history link is not yet complete and the suggestion was made to ask Dr. Trotti (UTS) to continue his good work. It was suggested that all members look at the RALC homepage and notify Hong Wu of any changes needed. Gary Graham (JTCC) speaking on behalf of RALC’s executive committee that a 16mm film center reside at VCU. RALC members would pass ownership of their 16mm films to VCU so as to centralize storage and preservation efforts. Dan Bedsole (RMC) agreed with the concept for a majority of films, but stated that certain faculty may not agree to give up possession of heavily used films. Barbara Ford (VCU) stated that VCU would accept the films as a standard gift with the option to weed the collection in the future. Gary Graham suggested the topic be put on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting at which time he will present a draft of a possible policy.

April 21, 1998; RALC at RMC

The RALC treasurer reviewed the 1998 budget and the 1999 budget recommendation. The budget report was approved. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that each school was encouraged to send up to five film title per week to VCU for cleaning and inspection. The cost of film cleaning is covered in the RALC dues. The Technical Services Committee reported that a workshop, "Tracking a Moving Target: Internet Resources in the Online Catalog", is being planned. The RALC webmaster distributed a copy of the homepage and requested members to review the information and notify her of any corrections, changes, and/or suggestions. Mike Burgmeier (VCU) shared information regarding the March 18th demonstration of DRA’s proposed RALC media search package. There was difficulty in connecting, but it is an acceptable product and will do what is needed. However, because of the costs involved for training and maintenance VCU will not be manage the project. The RALC Executive Committee will meet with Mike Burgmeier to discuss the SIRSI product. It was announced that a planning meeting/workshop addressing the concerns of consortia throughout the state is scheduled for June 6.

July 17, 1998; RALC at RBC

Jim Rettig was introduced at the new University Librarian at UR. It was agreed that the correct acronym for the Library of Virginia would be "LVA." The Public Services Committee reported that the workshop "Delivering Library Services for Distance Learning" was a success. It was suggested that Public Services prepare a survey to see what types of workshops would be inviting. These surveys would be distributed by the RALC directors to their library faculty and staff. Paul Porterfield (UR), RALC treasurer, announced that there would be $2,400 for the committees to use on staff development programs. Committees may submit requests for honorariums as part of their program budget request. Mike Burgmeier (VCU) was unable to attend the meeting, but Gary Graham reported that Mike has configured all but three libraries for the Vizion software for the media online catalog. It was reported that the Library of Virginia and RALC are co-sponsoring a session at the VLA meeting in October. The session will "Consortia-Resource Sharing for the Future" is on the consortia in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

October 9, 1998; RALC at UR

The RALC treasurer reported that all outstanding bills had been paid for staff development workshops. The Technical Services Committee reported that its last meeting was held at LVA on June 12, 1998, and that the attendees toured the new facility. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that its annual statistics had been compiled and would be placed on the RALC homepage. It was announced that there will be a panel discussion sponsored by RALC at the VLA/VEMA Conference on October 17, 1998. It was also announced that because Mike Burgmeier is departing VCU the Film/Video Co-op must begin anew in investigating solutions in providing a online media catalog. Paul Porterfield (UR) suggested hiring a consultant to investigate problems and Z39.50 compliance. A discussion was held about net lenders and the LVA no longer reimbursing colleges and universities. However, VIVA will compensate libraries which do not charge other libraries. The feasibility of a universal library card was discussed by Gary Graham (JTCC). John Trotti (UTS) inquired about whether or not members are compiling lists of discontinued or dropped periodicals for consortium members. The response was negative. Gary Graham (JTCC) announced that he will have a suite at the VLA/VEMA Conference for RALC directors and their staffs.

January 22, 1999; RALC at JTCC

The RALC treasurer asked that all committees submit budget requests prior to the Director’s meeting scheduled for April, 1999. The Technical Services Committee reported that they met on November 6, 1998 at RBC. Information was shared regarding cataloging electronic resources. The Public Services Committee reported that they met on October 30, 1998. The members discussed surveying librarians and staff to determine what training is needed in planning workshops. A questionnaire has been designed and distributed to directors to distribute to librarians and staff. The Film/Video Co-op Committee distributed last year’s statistics. Figures will be provided to each director containing information on the past 3-5 years to analyze Co-op effectiveness. Paul Porterfield (UR) announced that UR would week it 16mm film collection and send them to VCU.

April 23, 1999; RALC at RMC

The RALC treasurer presented the recommended budget for FY2000 which was subsequently approved by the RALC directors. The Public Services Committee requested that ILL statistics be turned in by all schools. Paul Porterfield (UR) reported that UR had weeded 240 16mm films from its collection. (A list of titles will be provided to all member schools.) Films will be sent to any school that requests them. The reminder will be sent to VCU.

August 6, 1999; RALC at RBC

Jim Rettig gave the budget report for the RALC treasurer: all dues statements have gone out and payments are being received. The Technical Services Committee reported that scholarships were provided for ten attendees of the FLA TSAR spring workshop, "A PERL Toolkit for Libraries." About 80 people attended the workshop. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported statistics for 1997/98. Co-op loaning and borrowing statistics are down while use of a school’s own collection is up. The question is whether or not to continue with the courier service ($10,000+ per year) if the use of the Co-op continues to go down. The consideration of hiring a consultant to investigate search engines for accessing media holdings was discussed. The homepage needs to reflect the changes in terms of office for RALC officers. The chair of RALC will now serve a two-year term. This correction will be made in the bylaws. The members at this meeting strongly recommended that we revisit the mission of RALC at our next meeting. VIVA and ILL through OCLC are duplicating many of our efforts. The following are some of the thoughts presented:

  1. Do we have a mission any longer?
  2. Examine usefulness of present RALC committees, combine, eliminate?
  3. Get away from books and be mostly film/video lenders.
  4. Use our bank account to serve our membership.
  5. Focus more on professional development.
  6. Have a more active paraprofessional forum.
  7. Create a committee to plan and set up workshops that would be composed of representatives from the other committees.
  8. Put deadlines on reports.
  9. Discuss issues with staff.

October 15, 1999; RALC at VUU

John Ulmschneider, the new Executive Director of University Library Services at VCU, was welcomed. The RALC treasurer reported that all dues had been collected for the fiscal year. The need for a union catalog was discussed. All members have Z39.50. If someone’s catalog could search all members’ catalogs they could host the union catalog. It is recommended that RALC needs to conduct a test of Z39.50 for each member. A committee needs to be set up to investigate. It was suggested that the chair of this committee be Gene Damon (Director of Library Automation and Learning Resources for the Virginia Community College System. Hung Wu, Webmaster, presented recommended changes to button categories on the RALC homepage. A change to the "Officers" section of the bylaws has been presented that would stagger the office terms of the President and Vice-President/President-Elect. The Vice-President/President-Elect would be elected in April of the first year of the President’s two-year term. It was suggested that Elsie Stephens-Wetherington (VSU) and Jim Rettig (UR) for and co-chair a committee to reconsider the mission of RALC. The Board would like this committee to have something to report at the next meeting. Jim Rettig has suggested the creation of a listserv. Each institution can put forth the names of members to be part of the listserv.

January 21, 2000; RALC at JTCC

The RALC treasurer reported via e-mail that the only business since the last meeting is the payment for the teleconference "Libraries, Copyright, and the Internet." UR will pay $125 and RALC will pay $150. Copies of the background information on the teleconference were distributed. The Film/Video Co-op Committee requested that Co-op statistics be reported promptly. John Duke (VCU) suggested that the Future of RALC Committee should look at what RALC can do that is not being done for us by other consortiums. Library directors were reminded to send a representative to the RALC Directors’ meeting if they are unable to attend. John Duke (VCU) volunteered to serve on the Online Catalog Search Engine Committee. It was recommended that Charles Lewis, Nancy Brantley, Tom Campagnoli, and Elizabeth Sudduth also serve on the committee.

April 13, 2000; RALC at UR

It was announced that Union Theological Seminary had changed its name to Union-Presbyterian School of Christian Education. The RALC treasurer reviewed the expenditures of the 2000 budget and presented the 2001 budget proposal. The 2001 budget proposal was approved by the members present. John Ulmschneider (VCU) made a motion to endorse a subcommittee of directors to make recommendations in implementing an internship/scholarship program to provide funding for graduate students in library science to work closely with RALC institutions. The motion was seconded and approved. The committee members are John Ulmschneider, Jim Rettig, and Ginger Young. It was announced that the RALC treasurer will send copies of the American Association of Law Libraries Videoconference "Books and Bytes…" to all members of RALC. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that the ILL courier service would continue to run two times per week. Statistics for films and videos are decreasing because of the out-of-date catalog. 16mm films should be cleaned at least once every two years. VCU is assisting members schools to accomplish this task. Elsie Stephens-Weatherington requested that members submit suggestions on improving RALC to her or Jim Rettig (UR).

June 15, 2000; RALC at RBC

The RALC treasurer reported that the contract with Professional Freight has been continued for another year at the same rate as last year. The terms of the courier service will remain the same (two deliveries a week). The Technical Services Committee reported that there was a two-day workshop held at the Library of Virginia, "Fundamentals of Book Repair." The sessions were very good and paid for by RALC. The User Services Committee met at VCU on May 24. Possible future workshops were discussed at the meeting. John Ulmschneider is working on initiative and investigating all possibilities for RALC’s Internship/Scholarship program. He will specifically discuss options with representatives at the University of Tennessee and Catholic University.

October 12, 2000; RALC at VSU

The RALC treasurer reported that most of the dues had been collected for the fiscal year. He reminded everyone to send in evaluations after a RALC workshop. The Technical Services Committee reported that the "Fundamentals of Book Repair" workshop by SOLINET held at the Library of Virginia was a great success. 18 people (6 from RALC0 participated in the workshop. It was proposed that the "Intermediate Book Repair" workshop be held at RBC. The Public Services Committee reported that the workshop "E-Reserves, Copyright, and UCITA" was held Oct. 6, 2000 at RMC. Ruth Kifer, Associate University Librarian for Distributed Libraries at George Mason University, led the workshop. 22 participants attended the workshop. The number of RALC institutions represented was 8. The Film/Video Co-op Committee reported that about half of the schools had reported Co-op statistics for the year. It was suggested that e-mails be sent to directors in order to follow up in obtaining the statistics. A discussion followed that the Public Services should be collecting ILL use of the courier statistics. John Ulmschneider (VCU) has identified the University of Tennessee and Catholic University as having library programs in the Commonwealth. RALC will need to define the parameters for awarding the scholarship, i.e.; levels of support, eligibility, etc. Elsie Stephens-Weatherington and Jim Rettig had suggested that a survey be utilized in order to obtain issues/questions about the future of RALC. The group agreed that it would be better to have our January 18 meeting as a retreat rather than sending a survey. John Ulmschneider reported that we will have the capability to search member libraries in the near future. He will have a form sent to each of our libraries asking for IP address of our Z39.50 server, port assignments; databases, etc. in order to facilitate this project. Bryant & Statton College in Chesterfield County requested via e-mail to join RALC. This request was denied according to the criteria spelled out in the RALC bylaws. Virginia Cherry (RBC) will notify Bryant & Statton College. Paul Porterfield (UR) referred everyone to the new copyright webpage at the University of Richmond. It was suggested that links to each schools copyright pages be available on the RALC homepage as well as other copyright URLs.